Saturday, November 28, 2009

Urban Ft. Myers and Southwest Florida Historical Museum


Taking a trip to downtown Ft. Myers is something that is not very new to me, so I thought. I had been down there many times before and to be honest I was not expecting much different. We first went to the waterfront at Centennial Park. The statues were pretty cool to look at, since I have never been down by the water before. There were many boats and many different types of trees. When we had to write down three different types of plants that we found I thought it was interesting to see where they all had come from. After walking near the marina we headed up towards town and walked up and


down the streets. We saw things such as the court house, theatre, art galleries, and many business buildings. I guess I never really took a deep look at how much business actually goes on down there, just because many people do not know of Ft. Myers having a downtown and it is rarely talked about or referred to. It was different seeing the urban side of things rather then out in the middle of nature like the past field trips. I was expecting the museum to be different then what it actually was. I was not too thrilled about it actually except for the train. which was pretty cool to learn about. I enjoyed walking through it and seeing how people traveled. It was fascinating how they cooked meals on there and basically turned it into a home. The rest of the museum I could have done without. Walking downtown did make me think of why it is not very well known and why the city has a problem with community involvement. I feel if they cleaned up some parts of it and advertised a little more then maybe people would start to take an interest. I know parts of it have a bad reputation and that could play a big role of why the community doesn't want much to do with it. I overall had fun walking the streets of downtown Ft. Myers. It was different than any of our other field trips and we got to learn a little about the history of where we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment