Monday, November 30, 2009

Sense of Place Interview

Before I even asked my grandparents questions I already had an idea about how they would answer my questions. I have talked to them before about the different ways that they were brought up compared to the lifestly that I now live. When talking to them about their opinions on sustainability it was started off being difficult to even try explaining to them what it was and what it actually meant. When I asked my grandma about her sense of place, she understood that more then the others. She feels that being in Florida, where she did not live for most of her life, is not her sense of place that she is most comfortable with. She does not feel like she is at home as much as she had in the past. If it was up to her she would move back to New York where she feels she belongs. Her sense of place here in Florida is a little foggy because she has a harsh attitude about where she is being forced to live. I told them a little bit about what being sustainable really means and they eventually caught on. They were pretty surprised actually that we were being taught things like this in college, but thought it was very good. They told me that they wish that they had been educated about these kinds of issues and then went on explaining to me about how when they were growing up things were so much different. They told me that they had to work for what they wanted and things were never handed to them. They barely had a televison and if they did it was in black and white. They knew nothing about technology and owning a care was a privaledge to them. They actually made it pretty clear that they think it is terrible what it is doing to our generation and that it is certainly making a difference in our generations to come. They think that it is good that they are teaching us what we have learned in Colloquium and they wish they could have had that education like we do, but on the other hand they wouldnt have wanted to grow up with the spoiled, technology craized generation that we live in. They were happy that I took the time to come over and inform them on what I am learning in school because they are always asking about it. I had felt better being able to leave there knowing that I had tought them something that they really had no clue about. They are happy that our generation is getting informed about what is going and really enjoyed to hear that we are helping out within our community as a requirement . I had fun talking with my grandparents about what is going on in our world today and they certainlly enjoyed learning about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment