Monday, October 12, 2009

Packaging

This exercise took some thinking. Everytime that I picked something up I thought to myself where did this come from and what did I receive it in. The first thing I lifted up right in the morning was my cell phone. This I know was packaged in a box and then inside the box each object was layered with a protective cover such as bubble wrap for protection. There was a paper booklet in there also that explained the functions. It most likey killed alot of trees just to package one cellular phone. When I went off to class I picked up my textbooks. These books I picked up at the store and were given to me in a plastic bag. When it came to lunchtime I decided to get a bagel from Einsteins. When the lady handed me my food it was in a brown paper bag with a clear layer of paper inside. As time went on every little thing was popping into my mind. The pen I was using came in a cardboard box and the paper I was writing on was wrapped in cellophane. Even when I stepped into my car an image of them taking it off the lot and removing the cardboard around the wheels and the plastic covering of the seats made me think wow, everything is really packaged someway and somehow. Most of the packaging I received that day was not sustainable. More things could have been easily made out of recycled cardboard instead of plastic that is worse for the environment. I try to make decisions that will be beneficial but sometimes it is not all your fault. Buying new items doesn't mean that they are wrapped the way you would necessarily like it to be. The only choice that I make that could be categorized as sustainable is paper or plastic at the grocery stores, or even bringing your own recycled bags that can be reused. If everyone made decisions that helped our world out our wildlife would all take advantage of it. It will make a difference in the long run even if we do not see it right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment