Monday, September 14, 2009

Sense of Place

When thinking about "where I feel most at home" I found it difficult to decide on just one place. I finally came to the conclusion that where I feel most at home and most at ease is at the beach. When I am at the beach I feel very peaceful and fully understand my surroundings. Being at the beach makes me think about what else there is out there and how much other life is living at that point in time. Ever since moving down to Florida my appreciation for the beach has grown over time. I would have to say that my favorite beach to go to here is Lovers Key. http://www.floridastateparks.org/LoversKey/ Being at Lovers Key is different than other places because it is so wide open and the view from the sand is incredible. When I first walk onto the sand the feeling of comfort immediately sets in. Being there makes it seems like there are no other worries in the world and that nothing bad could ever happen at that point in time. When laying on the beach I always say "I wish I could have a light that will light up the entire ocean floor so I can see everything that is down there". I think it is fascinating to think of everything that is swimming and living down on the ocean floor. All of the wildlife and sea creatures that exist make my sense of place even stronger. You can never really feel alone at the beach because of everything you know of that exists beneath you. Even taking in the scenery, such as the shrubberies and trees on the path to the beach makes me feel at home. Being outside in such a beautiful atmosphere slows my mind and vanishes my worries which is why the beach gives me a sense of place.




No comments:

Post a Comment